Department of Mines COVID-19 Virus Update:
The Oklahoma City office, located in the Cameron building at 29th and Classen, has been closed to the public.
If you need to meet with a staff person at the Oklahoma Department of Mines, please call our main number, (405) 427-3859, for additional assistance.
On-Premise staffing is currently limited. We thank you for your patience.
If this is a mining emergency, please call:
(405) 317-7023 for Richard Shore, Minerals Program Director or
(405) 439-9577 for Rhonda Dossett, Coal Program Director
For Minerals permitting issues, please call:
Mike Kelley (405) 522-9850
For Coal permitting needs, please call:
Stacy Woody (918) 295-3999
Welcome from the Director
Oklahoma Department of Mines (ODM) is the state agency responsible for ensuring the reclamation of land disturbed by mining operations. The Department regulates the production of coal and non-fuel minerals. The Department is committed to protecting the right of citizens and to the promotion of mining. The Department of Mines enforces and implements various provisions of state and federally-mandated programs in health, safety, mining, and land reclamation practices associated with surface and subsurface mining.
The Department has programs to:
- Safeguard human health and safety
- Issue permits and inspect all mining operations for land reclamation
- Minimize environmental impact to land, air, and water quality
- Regulate blasting of a mine site, and
- Conduct courses in first aid, mine safety, and accident prevention.