Department of Mines COVID-19 Update:
Our offices are open to the public.
For best service, we recommend scheduling an appointment to meet with staff regarding permitting needs and records review.
Please contact us at (405) 427-3859.
You may also contact our individual programs and services directly.
Minerals Permitting: (405) 522-9850
Coal Permitting: (918) 295-3999
Administration or Complaints: (405) 522-9843
Legal Services or Open Records Requests: (405) 522-9840
Finance Services, including Production Reporting: (405) 522-9854
Media Inquires: (405) 439-9574
For Mining Emergencies, please call:
(405) 317-7023 for Richard Shore, Minerals Program Director or
(405) 439-9577 for Rhonda Dossett, Coal Program Director
Proposed Rule Changes
Welcome from the Director
Oklahoma Department of Mines (ODM) is the state agency responsible for ensuring the reclamation of land disturbed by mining operations. The Department regulates the production of coal and non-fuel minerals. The Department is committed to protecting the right of citizens and to the promotion of mining. The Department of Mines enforces and implements various provisions of state and federally-mandated programs in health, safety, mining, and land reclamation practices associated with surface and subsurface mining.
The Department has programs to:
- Safeguard human health and safety
- Issue permits and inspect all mining operations for land reclamation
- Minimize environmental impact to land, air, and water quality
- Regulate blasting of a mine site, and
- Conduct courses in first aid, mine safety, and accident prevention.